Sunday, August 30, 2009

#26 Once a Month Teach Someone a Word That I Just Learned (3/33)

August 2009 Word of the Month: Gauche

I learned this one from my friend, Megan. She was reading The Time Traveler's Wife and she texted me when she came across this word to see if I knew it. I had never heard it before so I looked it up and told her what it meant. I was intrigued by the word and thought for sure I would remember it. Well, a few weeks later I was reading the book myself and came across the word but I had totally forgotten it's meaning! So I looked it up again and taught it to my husband in order to help me remember it this time.

The definition according to dictionary.com:

gauche [gowsh]

-adjective
lacking social grace, sensitivity or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless.

Synonyms: inept, clumsy, maladroit; coarse, gross, uncouth.

Let me know if you come across this word in the near future or if you find occasion to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment