Sunday, August 30, 2009

#23 Take a Verse from the Bible and Write a Blog About Once a Month (3/33)

Bible Verse for August: Matthew 12:29-30

"For who is powerful enough to enter the house of a strong man like Satan and plunder his goods? Only someone even stronger - someone who could tie him up and then plunder his house.

Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me."

I got the idea for this month's blog when listening to Kanye West's song, Jesus Walks. Throughout the song he says several times, "God show me the way because the devil's trying to break me down". Kanye West is probably one of the last people you would expect me to gain inspiration from, but he is surprisingly spiritual and often says things that get me thinking about God. The reason I was compelled by that lyric is I often realize that trying to follow Jesus is an uphill battle. It frequently feels like there is a tug of war between right and wrong and too often wrong wins out. Maybe I'm having a few drinks and I know that one more will send me over the edge but I go ahead and have it anyway, or maybe I am having a fight with Corey and I know what to say to end it but instead I say something that I know will piss him right off or maybe I look the other way when someone says or does something inappropriate. I think in all of these situations I literally have God on one shoulder telling me what I know He wants me to do and on the other shoulder I have Satan telling me what I want to hear and convincing me that the path of least resistance is the best. Why is it a constant struggle when we know what we should do every time??

Please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment