Friday, June 19, 2009

#30 Watch 5 Movies That I Haven't Already Seen From the Top 250 Movies on IMDB (1/5)



IMDB.com has created a list of the top 250 best movies as voted by users of the website. As near as I can tell, the list ranks by the top ratings not just simply by the number of votes received. For my first movie, I chose One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest starring Jack Nicholson. Currently, this movie is #8 in the top 250 with a rating of 8.8 out of 10 and 179,642 votes. I think it is appropriate to review this movie in two parts: the movie and Jack.

The movie. Basically, it is about a guy who was in jail and was then moved to a mental institution for erratic behavior. It won 8 Academy Awards in 1977, including Best Picture! Well, this movie is not too different from its counterparts that have gained this distinction in that it is just plain weird. There didn't seem to be any real plot to the movie other than seeing what it would be like to live in a looney bin. I'm not really opposed to it not having a plot, though - after all, one of my favorite movies is Dazed and Confused! Also, it had a really WTF ending but that's all I'll say about that. Overall, I think I can just say that the only reason why I didn't dislike this movie was because of Jack.

Jack. I am officially a big fan. He was quite the stud back in his day, huh? I have only seen his work as an old man so I really had no idea what he was like as a young actor. He just oozes coolness from his hair to his heals. I have gotten that vibe even watching him as an old man but not like I did while watching this movie. He does such an awesome job playing the guy that you really shouldn't like but you do anyway - that's how you know when someone is cool. So, naturally, I thought he was amazing in this movie. I was so enamored by him I think that one of the biographies that I am going to read (see #28 on my list) is going to be about him.

Anyway, check out the movie! It is not a complete waste of time and I would love to hear what everyone thinks of it.

Oh yeah, and if you interested in checking out IMDB's Top 250, you can do so here: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top .

No comments:

Post a Comment