Tuesday, June 23, 2009

#26 Once a Month Teach Someone a Word That I Just Learned (1/33)

June 2009 Word of the Month: Chimerical

As you can see from my list, I am in the process of reading the Outlander series of books by Diana Gabaldon. These books are so unbelievably well written and somewhat challenging to read and I LOVE them! I am currently reading book three, Voyager. Ms. Gabaldon has an extremely extensive vocabulary, so much that I have been carrying my dictionary in tandem with my books at all times. I probably encounter a word that I don't know every few pages. I like to think that I am no slouch in the vocab department and most of the time I can deduce the definition of a word based on the context but I haven't been wanting to do that lately. I love learning new words so why not break out the dictionary? Anywho, last night while I was reading I came across this word and I decided to teach it to Corey. It is fun to teach him words because he always replies using the word in a sentence.

Here is the definition according to dictionary.com:

chi-mer-i-cal [ki-mer-i-kuhl]

-adjective
1. unreal; imaginary; visionary: a chimerical terrestrial paradise
2. wildly fanciful; highly unrealistic: a chimerical plan

I'm a big fan of the thesaurus so I would also like to provide some synonyms for you to relate chimerical to: illusory, fantastic.

So I have taught my first word. I hope that we can all find use of it in the future!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS WORD! is it said like ch like church or ch like chemistry?

    ReplyDelete