Friday, June 26, 2009

#55 Do Gluten Free Diet for 3 Weeks

As you know if you have been paying attention to my life whatsoever over the last few weeks, I have had to do a gluten free diet on my doctor's recommendation. Yesterday was the last day - woohoo!! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but it was not easy either. I do have to say, however, that it is much easier to stick to a diet when your doctor tells you that you have to do it than when you just decide to do it on your own.

In case you are wondering, this is not a diet that you choose to do. There are no health benefits to it unless you have a gluten intolerance or allergy. You will not necessarily lose weight and there are no ill health effects of gluten if your body doesn't mind it. Anywho, my doc is trying to determine if that is my issue so now that I have done the diet for 3 weeks I am now re-introducing gluten back into my diet. Today I had two crackers and a toasted tuna sandwich and let me tell you - they tasted like ambrosia! Unbelievably tasty. I NEED wheat in my life so, please God, don't let this be the problem! If I do not have major stomach issues during the re-introduction then we will know that gluten is not the problem. The only real difference that I saw during the diet was that I was not feeling so full and bloated all the time as I did before. I may have been eating too much bread, pasta and cookies before but I don't think I have a gluten intolerance. So I am looking at it as a jump start to just plain ole healthy eating. Hopefully my doc says the same next week and we will work on the next solution - whatever that may be. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Gooch and I are going up north again this weekend. So there is a cherry pie with your name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on following the diet! I work for a doctor that is seeing alot of Celiac Disease patients right now so I know how hard it is to stay on track with the whole gluten free thing. I hope it works out okay!

    ReplyDelete