Wednesday, September 30, 2009

#23 Take a Verse from the Bible and Write a Blog About Once a Month (4/33)

Bible Verse for September: Corinthians 13:1-3

"If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it, but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing."

I don't think I have ever read this verse before today. I came across it while I was perusing the Bible for this month's verse and fell in love with it (no pun intended). It amazes me how much perfect sense something can make when it was written around 55 AD! I mean, seriously. If you are the most eloquent, intelligent, giving person in the world but you only care about yourself (or maybe not even), what good are you to anyone? Loving other people adds so much to the quality of our lives. I feel so sad for people who seem to have no one to turn to or no one to call when they are down or no one to kiss goodnight and I feel that way because I know how wonderful it is to truly care about someone and to truly know that they care about you. Isn't it the best feeling in the world to know that there is at least one person in the world who you can guarantee would do absolutely anything for you? And a thousand times better if you know more than one. That is why this message is so important. This love that you give keeps others going - it is not about what you get out of it. You are the reason someone gets up everyday and puts up with the crap of daily life. Wow! Tell me, what money or intelligence or boasting can compensate for that?? Wait...isn't there some fantastic Beatles lyric that is totally appropriate here? Something like, "In the end, the love that you make is equal to the love that you take" - is that right? I don't know, but it sounds good to me!

Comment, please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment