Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting Started

This is going to be hard. Like, really hard. But I am happy because one of my tasks is already complete! Task #101 was to create this blog. I tried to start my blog at Wordpress but I found that it was not as user friendly and didn't offer as many fun features as Blogspot. So, if you are going to create a blog, I suggest Blogspot.

So the actual designing of the blog wasn't nearly as difficult as racking my brain for 101 things I wanted to accomplish in 1,001 days. I was trying to think in terms of three buckets: Good for the soul, good for the brain and good for the sanity. I think I did pretty good. A big part of why I wanted to do several of these tasks was to hopefully create a habit (vitamins, stretching, walking, gratitude journal, etc.) but a lot of them were just to see if I can do them (give 10 strangers a compliment, go 7 days without swearing, 30 days without pop, etc.). I think its good to challenge yourself. It keeps things interesting and, hopefully, it inspires others.

So I am currently working on three tasks: #33, #55 and #70.

#33: Transfer all CD's into iTunes This one is a huge undertaking. I have already imported maybe 100 CD's and I have probably 400 to go. I have sorely missed a lot of this music and I am so excited to finally get it all in iTunes! Alanis, Pearl Jam, Janet, Outkast, Grand Funk Railroad, Five for Fighting...just a few that I did today.

#55: Do gluten free diet for 3 weeks This task is certainly not by choice. My doc wants me to give this diet a go because of some "issues" I am having and that is the only reason that I am doing it. I am kind of weirded out because my doctor chose this as the first course of action - no bloodwork, no nothing. If you know anything about this diet, you know that it is not easy! She told me that if this doesn't work, the next step is a colonoscopy. However, I'm thinking that my next step is a consultation with a new doctor. Anyway, I need EVERYONE to pray that gluten is not the problem! Bread is my favorite food in the world and abstaining from it is killer. I'm taking it one day at a time and it is definitely not as bad as I thought it would be but it is NOT FUN. Today is day 6.

#70: Complete the Outlander book series Outlander is my current book fetish. There are six books in the series and I am about 70% done with book two. They are crazy long! They are paperbacks the size of hardcovers with very small print and they are each between 700 and 1,000 pages!! They are amazing books if you like historical fiction. Diana Gabaldon (the author) can write a sentence like nobody's business! She can write in one beautifully crafted sentence what another author would write in three sentences. The books are about time travel which I never, ever thought would interest me. But like someone recently pointed out to me, she makes you feel like it is actually in the realm of possibility, like you really could travel back to 1743. I won't lie, there have been times where I was yawning but overall there is tons of action, lots of romance and I have laughed out loud more than once. I definitely recommend!

Wow...this was really long. Maybe I will be good at this blogging thing, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment